Calvin W. Stephens
Calvin W. Stephens is Chairman and President of SSP Consulting, L.C. The firm was established in September 1, 1992 for the purpose of providing surety support services and minority business and supplier diversity for local, minority and women owned firms.
Calvin W. Stephens also served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Calvin W. Stephens & Associates (CWS&A). Stephens established this firm in November 1981 after being active in the Dallas business community for the past 33 years as one of the major advocates of and foremost authorities on minority business development.
Immediately after receiving his MBA degree, Stephens was employed by the E. L. Cox School of Business at Southern Methodist University as Assistant Director of Project Concern, a management development program for small and minority owned businesses. During this period, he was trained and certified by McBer & Associates as a trainer in Achievement Motivation/Business Leadership Training.
Stephens also served as the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Dallas Minority Business Development Center. As such, he was the direct link between the minority business community and the public and private sector business community of Dallas. Included in this program scope was a Construction Contracting Assistance Center, similar in its scope of services to those provided by surety support programs. The Minority Business Development Agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce funded the Dallas Minority Business Center.
• President Ronald Reagan appointed Stephens to a three-year term on the Board of the National Advisory Council on Vocational Education.
• University of Houston Systems – Board of Regents-Vice Chair and Chair of the Boards Finance and Audit Committee;
• Member - The Associate Board for the Edwin L. Cox School of Business of Southern Methodist University;
• Member: University of North Texas College of Business Administration Advisory Board;
• Member: University of North Texas College of Business Administration Professional Leadership Council Advisory Board
• Charter Member - Leadership Dallas and Board Member of Leadership Dallas Alumni Association;
• Board Member - Dallas Metropolitan YMCA;
• Board Member – Cotton Bowl Athletic Association
• Member – Chief Executives Round Table (CERT) of Dallas
• Chair of the Southern Dallas Development Corporation (SDDC)
• Appointed by Governor Rick Perry to the Texas Juvenile Justice Department and serves as Chairman of the Finance and Audit Committee;
• Former Board Member of Dallas Black Chamber of Commerce and Dallas Urban League;
• Ordained Deacon - Pilgrim Rest Missionary Baptist Church, Dallas and Chair of the Board of Trustees
Calvin W. Stephens was previously the Vice President/Chief Financial Officer of Accommodations, Inc., a concessions management company, where his responsibilities included day-to-day administrative and fiscal management of all of Accommodations' operating divisions, including the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport retail operation, Dallas Love Field Taxi Starter Service and the Reunion Arena Food & Beverage Joint Venture.
Stephens is married to Sandra Williams Stephens and has four (4) children: Derrick, Lincoln, Savannah and Chandler and four grandchildren: Cinque, Bria, Haley, and Ila.